How to turn off HDCP on your PS4
Are you unable to record video, getting no video (but you might get choppy audio) in your recordings or a black screen in Hauppauge Capture?
Hauppauge game recorders cannot record HDMI video which has HDCP copy protection. Video with HDCP copy protection can come from an Xbox One or a PS4, or a cable TV or satellite box.
If you have a cable TV or satellite box, you must use Component video and not HDMI.
If you have a PS4, you need to disable HDCP. Here is how to do this:
- First, connect your PS4 directly to your gaming monitor (since you will not be able to see the PS4 on your computer screen if there is HDCP copy protection on the PS4)
- Next, go to Settings: from the main user interface, push up on the DualShock 4 to reach the top-level of the system’s menu, and select the toolbox labelled ‘Settings’.
- Enter the System submenu: When the long list of options appears, scroll down to the icon named ‘System’ and select it.
- Turn off HDCP encryption: You’ll find another long list in Settings. Scroll down to ‘Enable HDCP’ and ensure that the box to the right of the label is not checked. It will be enabled by default, so simply click on it to disable the HDCP copy protection.
- If you have any applications open, the system will ask you to close them, so make sure that you’ve saved your game before completing this last step.
- Now you can reconnect your PS4 back to the Hauppauge game recorder, and the HDMI out of the Hauppauge game recorder to your TV monitor. You should be able to see your game on your computer screen and TV monitor.